.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Semana Cervantina

Alcalá de Henares, the wonderful town we live in, is the town where Cervantes was born. Cervantes, you know, the author of Don Quixote? He's sort of a big deal. So much so that around his birthday the entire town has a huge medieval festival. It's called Semana Cervantina. The town gets decked out in banners, more than 100 people set up market booths and dress in period costume, and they have open pit roasing fires!

We bought some delicious cheese. Hollis LOVES it and I also enjoy it. It was expensive but SO GOOD! 12€ for a 1/4 wheel. I think the cheese was named after an Island, and I thought it was a Baleric island, but I can't remember which one.

Hollis loved the roasting pits. I mean, look at all that meat.

And the pigs that were roasting were amazing. This one looked like superman.

There were also parades of people. This is the only one we managed to catch - a musicians parade. We really liked the guy in front spinning the glass ball - it looked like magic.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! The video totally reminds me of Labyrinth! This makes me want to go back and visit my familia! I miss Spain! Lucky girl. :)

    ReplyDelete