.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Doce de Octubre (aka Columbus Day)

Remember Columbus day? For me it has always been the holiday that I remember only after somebody tells me that it already happened. In Spain, however, it is one of the biggest holidays of the year. It is very patriotic (I'd say it's as patriotic as our Independence Day). As you probably know, Columbus sailed the ocean blue (in 1492). His voyage was financed by Spain, so when he found America on October 12, 1492, Spain reaped the benefits.

Hollis and I went to Madrid to see the parade. I had heard that there would be parachuters, and I was not disappointed.

I tried to get to the plaza where the King and Queen were watching, but it was fenced off and we couldn't get within a block. So we settled for in the shade. The parade was a military parade. It was the first parade of this kind that I've ever seen. The tanks were quite loud and impressive.

We also loved the airplanes flying down the parade route. Sometimes they were trailing yellow and red smoke (the colors of the Spanish flag).

People were everywhere, and I saw so many flags that I wanted one. But since I didn't know what I'd do with it, Hollis didn't buy one for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment