.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Lessons from Paul

By Hollis

So, I have been reading through the New Testament this year in my personal scripture study. The last time I read all the way through it was my senior year in High School, and I don't remember as much as I'd like.

The last couple of days, I have been reading about Paul's testimonies in Jerusalem and before Agrippa (Acts 21-26) and my faith was strengthened, by the firm zeal of Paul. In the face of violent oppositions, he stuck to his testimony of the living Christ with determination and humility.

One excerpt I would like to share is from Acts 26. Paul is recounting the story of his vision of the Savior to King Agrippa.

12 ... as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests,
13 At midday, O King, I saw in the way a light from haven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me.
14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.
15 And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest.
16 But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast see, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee;
Acts 26:12-16 KJV

What struck me while reading this, is that the Lord did not appear the call Paul to repentance as much as he did to call him to the ministry. Repentance was expected and received. The Lord trusted that Paul would do what he needed to to change his ways, and cut the the heart of the matter, calling Paul as a Special Witness of Jesus Christ.

How often do I wish that the Lord would take me by the hand and clear the trouble from my way, or appear and call to repentance a friend or family member who has strayed from the strait and narrow path. What I have never understood is that with great miracles from the Lord comes the responsibility to be a witness of those miracles. Just like Paul, Alma the Younger (Mosiah 27 Book of Mormon) also was called to be a special witness and it dramatically altered the course of his life.

What this means to me is that no matter what we think we want, God has our best interests in mind when answering our prayers, blessing us, and helping lead loved ones back to Him. He won't give us more than we can handle. Even if you beg him for it. Why? Because He loves us, and is our perfect Father. I know that God lives and knows and loves me and each of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment