.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Fire!

The other night we were awakened at 3 AM by some loud popping noises. We assumed that someone was blowing up fireworks (not that uncommon). However, when we went to shut our windows, there was a FIRE burning! A truck was completely engulfed in flames. A few minutes later, someone rang our door phone and was yelling "¡Fuera! ¡Fuera!" or "Outside!" We assumed that meant "get out" so we quickly grabbed essentials (like keys) and ran outside.

It was interesting because we then knew what things we would grab on our way out the door. Not our scriptures (I distinctly thought "I can buy a new set") but I grabbed my journal. Pretty much I just threw everything on my nighstand into my school bag (the closest bag). We also grabbed our computer backup on our way out. I reminded Hollis that we have all of our stuff insured so it is okay if it all burns. Then we ran down our stairs. I also realized that if a fire ever started in our stairs, the only way out of our 5th story apartment would be off the balcony. There isn't a fire escape. We'd be relying on the trampoline catch or ladders of fire fighters.

Anyway, we got outside and this is what we saw:

That is a scooter on fire.

Right after the put out the flames:

And the next morning:

We didn't think to take a picture of the truck engulfed in flames. Well, I thought about it, but I wasn't entirely sure I wasn't supposed to be running away instead of standing in a gawking crowd. Hollis took a picture of the burned-out hulk the next morning.

Right in the middle of the picture.

Well, anyway, we soon determined that the helpful neighbor yelling "¡Fuera!" simply meant "Look outside! A fire! You should look at it." Oh boy. I really could have done without a frantic 3AM dash down the stairs. So we trudged back up all 5 flights of stairs and laid in bed, wondering how we would ever get back to sleep. We managed.

No comments:

Post a Comment