.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Córdoba


Our last city we visited on our road trip was Córdoba.  I have a special place in my heart for Córdoba because when I was on my study abroad (in 2007) I was the tour guide for La Mezquita, the mosque-cathedral located there.  I was so excited to share this building with everyone!

The belltower was originally a minaret.  It is one of the most iconic features of La Mezquita.


Inside you can see the forest of pillars and double horseshoe arches that were part of the mosque.  Several of the pillars were repurposed from the Roman temple that was located in this spot.



We also saw very beautiful examples of Moorish architecture (like we saw in the Alhambra).



The most unique part of the Mezquita is the fact that there is a full baroque cathedral in the middle of this mosque.  You can see how the architecture changes dramatically as you pass into the cathedral section (look at the celling).



Moorish ceiling:

 

Baroque ceiling:

 
Technically the whole building is the cathedral, but the architecture is so distinct that it seems like two separate buildings.  That is why the floats for the processional are stored in the moorish part of the building.



I love the Mezquita.


(L to R: Jason, Neoma, Michelle, and Hollis) 

The view of the minaret from the Jewish quarter of the city is found on many postcards.  Last time I was here I took the picture but did not get one with me in it!  I was sad, but happily got to rectify that oversight this time around.


So glad I married this guy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment